They say knowledge is power, and that’s definitely the truth when discussing your air conditioner. While complex repairs are best left to specialists, it’s helpful to have a rudimentary understanding of your air conditioner and how to solve ordinary AC issues.
Learning how your AC works and the typical problems it faces will allow you to fix easy problems without needing to call an HVAC specialist every time. This not only saves you cash on minor service calls, but realizing when to reach out to a professional can help prevent small issues from escalating into complex repairs.
Your AC is a fundamental component of your home comfort. Because of that, you should always err on the side of caution and call a NATE-certified professional for air conditioning repair in Pocatello if you're unsure about any aspect of your air conditioning system’s operation or maintenance.
Here are some typical questions people ask our experts about their air conditioners:
1. How Do I Clean an Air Conditioner?
Cleaning an air conditioner is a smart way to make sure it runs efficiently, and potentially could extend the life of your unit.
The most effective step you can take on your own is to swap out the air filter in your air conditioner. The filter catches dust, pollen, pet hair and other debris, and removes those particulates from the air circulating in your home. If your AC filter becomes clogged, the air conditioner has to work harder than it ought to in order to pull air through the filter. A clean filter removes the airborne debris while still enabling air to flow easily through the system.
Replacement filters are sold at most major home improvement stores, hardware stores or can be ordered from your local HVAC professional. A good way to make sure you get the right filter is to look at your old one before you go shopping, noting the size of the filter. If you’re not familiar with filters, it’s also helpful to note the filtration level of the current filter if you are trying to buy something similar.
For comprehensive service of your air conditioner, contact the seasoned professionals like the crew at Vogts Heating & Air to do routine maintenance on your system. They’ll look over your system, clean or lubricate parts that require attention and look for worn-out parts and potential trouble.
2. How Do I Clean Air Conditioner Coils?
In addition to making sure your indoor AC unit is functioning efficiently, it’s important to tend to your outdoor unit. Cleaning the coils on the outdoor unit of your cooling system is a simple way to boost its efficiency and can extend the life of your entire system.
The coils, which have extensions called fins, are used to release heat from the refrigerant to the outdoors. This brings down the temperature of the refrigerant, which then goes back into your home so it can absorb more heat from the air within your home. Washing the fins and the coils can help them release heat more efficiently.
To clean your air conditioner’s fins and coil:
1) First, shut down power to the outdoor unit. It’s best to disconnect it completely from power, rather than turning the thermostat off.
2) Take off the top of the outdoor AC so you can reach the insides of the unit. Then, being cautious not to stress any cords or attachments, safely move the top to the side.
3) Spray a cleaning solution on the fins, beginning at the top and working down. Commercial coil cleaners are on the market and commonly found in both the canned aerosol spray from as well as in the form of foaming solutions that are applied with your garden hose.
4) Follow directions on the product to apply. For most cleaners, it's recommended that you spray the product on, let the cleaner soak in for a brief period of time to loosen the grime and then softly spray it off with a garden hose. Be careful not to spray too hard, because that could ruin the coils or fins!
5) Secure the top back on the unit and then wait for the unit to dry before turning the unit back on.
3. How Long Do Air Conditioners Last?
The life span of an air conditioner depends on the type of unit, its quality, how often it's maintained and how often it's used. That said, industry experts say you should start thinking about air conditioner replacement after about 12-15 years.
One of the best ways to get maximum value from your HVAC is through AC conditioner maintenance. Maintenance service from Vogts Heating & Air includes cleaning and inspecting the machinery, as well as replacing the filter and repairing any worn-out or broken parts. To keep your unit operating a long time, contact us today to schedule air conditioning maintenance in Pocatello.
4. What Size Air Conditioner Do I Need?
Choosing the proper size of air conditioner for your home is critical for maintaining comfort and efficiency. Here are some elements to think about when deciding what size air conditioner you need for your home:
- Square footage: The amount of space you need to cool is one of the key factors. Bigger spaces require more cooling power.
- Home insulation: Well-insulated homes retain cool air better, which can minimize your cooling needs.
- Climate: If you are living in a hotter climate, you'll need a more powerful air conditioner compared to a homeowner living in a cooler environment.
- Number of windows: Windows often let in heat, in particular when they're south-facing or not well-insulated.
- Number of residents: More people in the house create greater body heat, which could influence your cooling needs.
- Current HVAC system: The size and effectiveness of your current system can provide a starting point for determining what you need.
Due to the fact the size of your air conditioner is so essential to your home’s comfort, you will definitely want a professional opinion. At Vogts Heating & Air, we take the time to completely understand your family’s lifestyle, comfort needs and the many other considerations such as your home’s layout and size. This attention to detail and dedication to customer service is why Vogts Heating & Air is known for excellent air conditioning installation in Pocatello.
5. How Much Does an Air Conditioner Cost?
While prices fluctuate depending on the brand of the unit and your home’s unique needs, a new AC generally costs between $5,000 and $12,500 to purchase and install. On the plus side, a benefit of air conditioning replacement is that new air conditioners are designed to be exceptionally efficient, so they do more with less power when compared to older units.
The price of an air conditioner is influenced by several factors during the manufacturing process, such as the cost and availability of raw materials, manufacturing and labor costs in addition to federal regulations that necessitate changes to the design.
Note these are average costs and prices can differ. It's always helpful to get several quotes from trusted HVAC companies before making a purchase. If you’re thinking about air conditioning replacement in Pocatello, contact Vogts Heating & Air. We will schedule an appointment to provide you with a no-cost estimate, make sure you understand the process and help connect you with available rebates or discounts.
6. What Causes an Air Conditioner to Freeze Up?
An AC freezing up can be due to multiple factors, all of which boil down to the failure of your system to efficiently transfer heat. If your air conditioner is suffering from issues causing it to freeze up, it is most likely time for air conditioning repair.
Here are some typical triggers for AC freezing up:
- Poor airflow: If the air isn't flowing correctly through your AC system, it can't effectively absorb heat. This could be due to a plugged air filter, something stopping air from flowing through the return air ducts or a failing fan.
- Low refrigerant levels: If your air conditioner is starting to get low on refrigerant, it may grow too cold and freeze up. This is frequently because of leakages in the refrigerant lines.
- Frigid outdoor temperatures: Operating an air conditioner when it's very cold outside can cause the system to freeze. The majority of units aren't designed to work in temperatures lower than 60 degrees Fahrenheit (15 degrees Celsius).
- Mechanical failures: Faulty thermostats, damaged blower motors and problems with the relay or control board can all play a role in an AC unit freezing up.
Vogts Heating & Air is the Trustworthy Source for Air Conditioning Service in Pocatello.
At Vogts Heating & Air, we are focusing on making your home a comfortable and enjoyable place. Our experienced specialists are up-to-date on the latest industry training and trends, and work on on a wide variety of systems. That’s why community members make us their first call for air conditioning repair in Pocatello and neighboring cities.
If you’re looking to upgrade or its time for a new unit, we’ve got you covered there too, with our first-class air conditioning installation in Pocatello. No matter what, we can help you solve your cooling issues!
Call Vogts Heating & Air today at 208-621-0129 to schedule an appointment or complimentary estimate!