While winter seems like it’s already been going on for far too long, its impact on our heating bill is just starting. Achieving low energy costs during the coldest months of the year can be tough, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to help lower those costs. That’s why we’ve developed a few furnace tips to help stave off high heating bills.
To start controlling your heating bills and enhancing your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open during the warmest parts of the day to bring sunlight in, heating your home naturally.
- Sealing leaks around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Adding a programmable thermostat so that you can more easily control the temperature in your home, which will also increase energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter every three months.
- Checking your home's heating vents to ensure they are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if you’ve had your current furnace for more than 15 years.
- Adding insulation to your attic to keep the heat trapped inside.
- Checking your roof to make sure your shingles are intact, and that no holes or areas need sealing.
Trying to keep your energy bills low and energy efficiency high, is a year-round practice, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t do some of the smaller things to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions about the tips above or questions about how you can reduce your heating bills, give us a buzz at 208-621-0129. Our experts are here to help you keep your home comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Pocatello weather.