Whenever your gas furnace is running, carbon monoxide is being produced. However, there is no need to worry. It is a natural by-product of the fuel-burning process. As long as your furnace is working properly, it is carefully deposited outside your home. Carbon monoxide is kept inside your furnace’s heat exchanger until it is safely forced through the flue vent to the outside. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a result of a malfunctioning gas furnace.
Taking in too much carbon monoxide stops the body from using oxygen and can harm the central nervous system and heart. While carbon monoxide poisoning can affect anyone exposed to the gas, it is notably risky for people with existing lung or heart problems, pregnant woman, infants and children. Here are some tips to ease your mine mind and preserve a healthy, comfortable and safe home.
1. Invest in carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that can’t be detected by humans. Without a detector, it’s almost impossible to perceive carbon monoxide is building up in your home. You may not be aware until someone starts showing symptoms of poisoning. Install carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your home, ideally near bedrooms, to be alerted to rising levels before anyone gets sick.
2. Be sure your gas furnace was installed properly. If your gas furnace wasn’t installed by pros, you should have it inspected. The experts at Vogts Heating & Air can make sure your blower motor is installed accurately and that everything looks correct in your ductwork design. Carbon monoxide can accrue if there are problems in those areas.
3. Schedule annual maintenance. Routine maintenance is the best action to take to prevent carbon monoxide leaks from your gas furnace. During a yearly maintenance appointment, the experts will clean your system and check it for malfunctions or problems. It’s also a great idea to have any other gas-, coal- or oil-burning appliances professionally monitored as well.
4. Keep your air filter clean. A stoppage of airflow caused by a spoiled filter can cause carbon monoxide to leak out of your system. Set a reminder on your phone or mark your calendar to frequently check your air filter and clean or change it per the manufacturer’s instruction.
5. Always count on professionals to service your gas furnace and other fuel-burning appliances.
Carbon monoxide can be very dangerous, but you can have peace of mind by taking a few precautions. You’ll always have the professionals at Vogts Heating & Air in Pocatello around to help, too. Give us a call at 208-621-0129 if you have questions or concerns about carbon monoxide or your gas furnace. You can also schedule an appointment using our online scheduler.