Generally, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Depending on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, whether or not you have pets, and how often your air filter has been changed, to name a handful—you may require air duct cleaning
more or less frequently. So, how can you tell for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are absolutely some significant signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns caked with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a blockage in your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers blowing out dust?
- When you check inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents found shelter in your ductwork?
- Can you hear noise other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have less airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s probably time to ask Vogts Heating & Air in Pocatello about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a few things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and prolong the timeline between specialized cleanings.
Above all, schedule routine HVAC maintenance with the specialists at Vogts Heating & Air. A service of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should consist of inspection, and potential replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system operating effectively, and will help keep your ducts clean.
You can also converse with the team at Vogts Heating & Air about installing an air purification system. We have the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other steps you can take include:
- Consistently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Examining your air filters habitually and replacing them when the manufacturer recommends changing them. Most filters will show dust on them after a short period in service, but they may not need changing.
- Sealing seepages in air ducts that let dust to come in from areas like your attic.
- Replacing poor or broken air-duct insulation.
With a professional air duct cleaning and some preventive measures, you can help keep the air in your Pocatello home clean and healthy. Give the pros at Vogts Heating & Air a call at 208-621-0129.