Whether you enjoy winter or prefer the warmer months in Pocatello, most of us make adjustments to ensure our home’s temperature keeps us cozy. This can have a large impact on your monthly bills, but there are steps you can take to bring monthly costs down.
- Check weather stripping – As the years go on, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to find any drafts that should be addressed.
- Make use of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be valuable in keeping your home warm. Keep them open when the sun is shining during the day, and make sure to close them at night, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter continually to see if it needs to be replaced. We recommend at least once every three months, but that period of time can vary from house to house.
- Install a programmable thermostat – Programmable thermostats may seem like just a simple way to make sure your home remains warm, but programmable thermostats can also save you money! You can fix temperatures to be on a lower setting when you are away from the home or sleeping. It’s just one way to be more efficient and help with energy costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Check to see if you have an acceptable amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a great tool to decrease the chances of heat escaping.
- Call for routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system will benefit from having a professional look at it, too. Hiring qualified technicians to clean and maintain your system will confirm that your system is operating effectively and efficiently. They can also detect small issues that could end up as more pricey repairs if ignored.
- Assess your HVAC system – If you notice your energy bills are continually increasing—despite your efforts to improve efficiency—it might be time to consider a replacement heating system. The professionals at Vogts Heating & Air can help you review the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the selection of newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps reduce the amount of money you are having to spend on heating bills, but many of them can help your heating system run more efficiently. More efficient energy use also supports the health of your equipment, which means a longer life for your HVAC system.
If you need routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide more tips on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Vogts Heating & Air in Pocatello a call to begin. Give us a shout at 208-621-0129 or book an appointment with us online.