Call it Murphy’s Law, or maybe just a little bad luck, but we sometimes see heat pump problems in Pocatello during the cooler months, when they’re needed the most to keep you toasty. While you know the team at Vogts Heating & Air will constantly be there ASAP when you require us for a heat pump repair, there are some things you can do to ensure a repair is needed and save yourself some expenses if it’s not. We’ve collected this checklist of things to test before you give us a call.
- It may sound silly, but make sure everything is set to “on”. We’ve been to several calls only to discover the thermostat or the heat pump itself is turned off.
If the heat pump still hasn’t turned on, go back to your thermostat.
- Is the thermostat switched to heat? If yes, raise the temperature by five degrees to see if it kicks on.
- If everything looks correct, check your heat pump switch (if it has one) and test the fuses and circuit breaker that shield the extra heating element (if it has one).
Is an impasse causing your heat pump to not work?
- Try swapping the battery, if it has one.
- Examine your air filters inside your air handler to confirm they’re not blocking things up.
- Are your room heating registers open and clear?
If you’ve moved through this checklist and you still need a heat pump maintenance check, call Vogts Heating & Air at 208-621-0129 and we’ll get your home back to the welcoming and cozy place you expect this time of year.