You’re in the middle of the coldest week of winter and you wake up shivering in a pile of blankets in bed. The first thought to go through your head is, “Why in the world has my furnace not kicked on?” Of course, you don’t want to find yourself in a scenario like this where it feels like you’re predestined to suffer until morning to set up furnace repair, but there are a couple things you can check, as well as a few things you can do, to stay on your toes and prep for a predicament like this.
Before You Experience Problems:
- Furnace service. Cold nights and furnace repair can’t always be avoided, but having annual furnace service completed can help you avoid a chilly situation.
- Pull together supplies. Set aside some room in a closet, drawer or another handy area for blankets, a space heater, gloves, hats and any number of other accessories to keep you warm while your furnace is out. It may seem annoying or unnecessary now, but it will come in handy when you need it most.
After You Suspect Your Furnace Quit Operating:
- Check the circuit breaker. There’s a chance that the breaker to your furnace might have been tripped by a power surge or for another reason. If this is the case, turn the breaker back on and you could be set. If the breaker is flipped and you have switched it back on but your furnace still isn’t running, give us a call to arrange an appointment for furnace repair.
- Layer on and get cozy. That handful of supplies we recommended above will come in handy here. Layers can help you preserve body heat so you can stay comfortable while waiting for your technician. Also, try to find something active to do to keep your blood pumping, as elevated activity can help keep you comfortable.
- Stay safe. Utilizing something other than your furnace to heat your home can pose potential danger depending on the method you’re using. It’s important to remember to never use heating methods developed for outdoor use – i.e. kerosene heaters, grills, or any other carbon monoxide producing methods. If you need to use an alternate method, electric space heaters, fireplaces or wood stoves are your best bets.
No one wants to put up with furnace repair in the middle of winter after their furnace has quit running, but the opportunity is real if you don’t take the proper steps. Give the experts at Vogts Heating & Air a call at 208-621-0129 if you have any questions about these tips, the furnace repair services offered or any other number of heating questions.